ERJ ASSOCIATES / DYSLEXIA INTERVENTION MODEL
To assist schools in addressing Arkansas Act 1268, we have partnered with Mindplay, Inc. and Dr. Nancy Mather to provide this timely response. Our model features the Mindplay Virtual Reading Coach coupled with professional development modules designed by leading experts to provide schools with the tools needed to address dyslexia and other learning disabilities.
MINDPLAY VIRTUAL READING COACH (MVRC)
As defined by the amended law describing a “dyslexia intervention”, MVRC is a systematic, multi-sensory, structured, explicit and research-based program. The award-winning MVRC features one-on-one instruction through certified speech pathologists and reading specialists that are embedded into the program to provide instruction in phonemic awareness, phonics, the grammatical structure of English language, strategies for word recognition, sustained silent reading fluency, and text comprehension. The program contains an adaptive, diagnostic tool, the Mindplay Universal Screener (RAPS 360), which will provide an equivalent screening instrument (to DIBELS) as recommended for by the amended law, that assesses initial phonemic awareness and phonics through text comprehension levels, silent fluency proficiency and eye-tracking. This application is unique as it adapts and branches students to specific areas of the assessment as indicated by their real-time responses. Off-the-computer scripted lessons are available to help teachers work with students, individually/small groups, on skills that have not been mastered. White board lessons complete with internet links and printable worksheets are also included for whole group instruction.
MVRC is further explained here.
ERJ, in collaboration with Mindplay, a division of Methods and Solutions, Inc., is proud to announce the Dyslexia Intervention Certification process to support its specialized technology-driven program, Mindplay Virtual Reading Coach (MVRC), that will provide professional development and continuing education opportunities to deliver guaranteed effective interventions (which extends to non-dyslexic students as well). Our Mindplay certified trainers will conduct on-site and webinar training for MVRC teachers, paraprofessionals and administrators. helping schools and districts implement a “best practice” co-teaching model for small groups that supports the teacher and paraprofessionals to maximize student reading performance.
This Certification process employs:
- On-site professional development by a Mindplay certified trainer, including initial and follow-up monitoring support. The certification training course covers the fundamentals of language, phonemes, encoding and decoding strategies, reading for comprehension using mental pictures and grammar clues, designing a strategy for success, implementing daily procedures, hands-on activities and more. (8 hours)
- Two auxiliary courses designed and delivered by Dr. Nancy Mather of the University of Arizona and her colleagues of specialists from around the country:
- “Understanding Dyslexia“: The purpose of the course is to familiarize participants with the definition and characteristics of dyslexia, the major components of assessment, and the principles and types of effective interventions. (2 hours)
- “MVRC Teacher Companion“: Designed to fill gaps in teacher knowledge and to enable every teacher to deliver research-based reading instruction by demonstrating scientifically-based reading instruction techniques using the lessons and activities provided in MindPlay Virtual Reading Coach. Teachers who enroll in this self-paced, interactive professional development program will learn to meet the educational literacy needs of all their students. (8 hours)
Based upon completion and monitored by school district officials, a certificate of completion can be printed out for the auxiliary courses, with Mindplay providing the certification of training on MVRC. Teachers and paraprofessionals can earn up to 18 hours of continuing education credits as part of the process.
MINDPLAY VIRTUAL READING COACH: VRC Teacher Companion
MindPlay VRC Teacher Companion is designed to give teachers an understanding of:
- how the English language works
- what every student needs to become a proficient reader
- how to help every student succeed
MindPlay VRC Teacher Companion is intended to:
- fill in gaps in teacher knowledge
- provide professional development and continuing education opportunities
- enable teachers to support and enhance what their students are learning in MindPlay Virtual Reading Coach (MVRC)
Why use MindPlay VRC Teacher Companion?
Unaddressed reading difficulties affect students at every grade level. The Teacher Companion program enables teachers to understand and support the explicit and systematic instruction provided to their students by MVRC. Teachers who participate in this interactive professional development program will be able to meet the educational needs of all their students. Administrators can offer professional development and continuing education credits to teachers who participate.
- Nancy Mather, Ph.D., Professor, College of Education, University of Arizona; Co-author of the Woodcock- Johnson III, Illinois Test of Psycholinguistic Abilities-3; national and international speaker on assessment and instruction
- Blanche Podhajski, Ph.D., Clinical Associate Professor of Neurological Sciences, University of Vermont College of Medicine; President at Stern Center for Language and Learning
- Janice Sammons, Ph.D., Adjunct Assistant Professor, College of Education, University of Arizona; Psychologist
- Marilyn D. Varricchio, M.Ed., Founder and Learning Specialist at Portals to Learning, Middlebury, Vermont; Educational Diagnostician
UNDERSTANDING DYSLEXIA: An Online Course for Educational Professionals
The purpose of this web-based mini-course is to provide educational professionals, including general and special education teachers, administrators, dyslexia consultants, school psychologists, diagnosticians, and speech-language therapists with an overview of and basic knowledge about dyslexia. Dyslexia, a disorder in learning to read and spell, is the most common type of learning disability. This disorder affects at least 5% of the school-age population. The course will cover the following topics: definitions and basic characteristics of dyslexia, the elements typically included in an evaluation for dyslexia, the types of interventions that are effective for enhancing reading and spelling performance, and the ways that professionals can provide educational and emotional support to students with dyslexia. A variety of videos from national experts are incorporated to enhance the breadth and depth of the course. Pre- testing and post-testing will enable administrators to see growth in teacher awareness on this timely topic. Included in package price or can be purchased separately.
- Nancy Mather, PhD, is a Professor at the University of Arizona in the Department Disability and Psychoeducational Studies.She specializes in the areas of assessment, reading, writing, and learning disabilities. She has served as a learning disabilities teacher, a diagnostician, a university professor, and an educational consultant. She has published numerous articles and books and conducts workshops on assessment and instruction nationwide. She is a co-author of the Woodcock-Johnson III and has co-authored two books on interpretation and application of the WJ III.
- Barbara J. Wendling, MA, is the Education Director for the Woodcock-Munoz Foundation. In addition, she conducts training workshops nationwide on topics related to assessment and linking assessment to instruction. Barbara has served as a general education teacher, a learning disabilities specialist, a product manager for a test publishing company, and an educational consultant. She has a number of publications related to assessment and instruction and is a co-author of the Woodcock Interpretation and Instructional Interventions Program. Both authors have coauthored numerous Essentials volumes, and cowrote together the Essentials of Evidence-Based Academic Interventions, one of the series’ best-selling titles.
MINDPLAY VIRTUAL READING COACH: Teacher Training & Program Support
All program training is conducted by ERJ / Mindplay Certified Trainers
We offer on-site Full Year, Half Year and Per Diem Training & Support plans that feature:
All initial training – including:
- program overview
- hands-on training
- implementation planning
All follow-up training – including:
- report interpretation
- program monitoring
Mindplay offers subscription-based student licenses for one to twelve month durations. A school starts with minimum order of 25 licenses then may add on as needed, whenever needed – based on referral numbers from DIBELS / RAPS 360. These licenses are fully transferable so that when a student no longer needs the intervention, the license may be assigned to another student.
Need more information?
Please contact us at 888.374.0002